With hybrid working becoming a way of life and device flexibility a norm now, technologies like virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) are gaining ground. Since the VDI architecture provides a superior end-user experience through a virtualized backend that hosts virtual computers, users stand to benefit from their virtual machines. They can connect to a virtual computer through a secure network from any device to carry on their work.
However, like any other technology, VDI has advantages and certain limitations. Before you decide whether to implement this technology, consider the below mentioned pros and cons of VDI.
Advantages of VDI
- Easy access and compatibility with employee devices
VDI can be accessed through a client or a client-less system. Enterprises usually decide to opt for a client or thick PC or Physical desktop/laptop, based on the requirement, cost, and ease of management. Several organizations prefer thin client systems as they provide key benefits like reduced cost, increased security, efficient manageability, and scalability.
Whether VDI deployments use a client-based or client-less environment, employees can use VDI to access information irrespective of the device they use – Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, or any other. Further, this reduces organizational expenditure as there is no need to buy compatible devices for remote employees since they can use their own devices.
- Improved security
All sensitive customer and company data is stored within the organization’s premises. This means critical data of the organization will not be sent through the network connection (only basic input and output data), leaving no data trace in the endpoints. This helps to improve security significantly.
- Better performance and reduced costs
VDI solutions host desktop environments on a central server, rather than in the user devices, and deliver desktop images to end-users over a network. So even an older laptop or device can work seamlessly.
Challenges of using VDI
- User experience
Unless the VDI solution provides a simple-to-use and desktop-like user experience to its employees, the adoption is challenging. Moreover, if the infrastructure adoption involves a learning curve, the TOC, Capex, Opex, and gestation time might shoot up.
- VDI requires dedicated IT staff
Setting up a physical VDI means there is a need for a dedicated IT team to maintain the server, install applications, etc. While companies can cut down on the strength of the IT staff required, more specialized people are needed. For smaller organizations, this might be a challenge since they might not have the bandwidth or skill-sets required.
- High upfront costs
Investing in VDI hardware is likely to be expensive for small set-ups, and it can also be costly to virtualize applications. If employees use custom applications, an external expert might be needed to help to transition them or may need to switch to different applications altogether.
Key Features of Accops VDI offering
- End-user computing virtualization via desktop and application virtualization (VDI).
- ZTNA-based application secure access gateway.
- Identity and Access Management (IAM).
- Integrated MFA, device entry control, data leakage prevention, contextual access, & continuous monitoring.
Get the best out of Accops VDI solution
For enterprise IT teams, VDI deployments are one of the most difficult tasks to execute successfully, due to the total number of users and applications that they can potentially impact. Accops aims to support enterprises and IT teams by simplifying the process of delivering an enhanced remote working experience to employees without compromising on quality, efficiency, and productivity.
Through its unique Digital Workspace solution, Accops provides an integrated solution suite that replaces multiple-point products and ensures quick rollout, simplified management, and better RoI. With several unique endpoint security controls, this offering is infrastructure agnostic and can be deployed on-premises or in the cloud.
The Accops Digital Workspace solution suite is highly modular and flexible and fits the needs of businesses of all sizes. It provides seamless and secure access to business-critical web applications, SaaS applications, client-server applications, legacy applications, virtual applications, and virtual desktops.
The Accops solution suite provides benefits across multiple stakeholders and business areas, making it the core of enterprise virtual desktop infrastructure.
- One-stop solution
- The Accops Digital Workspace is a unique solution that combines three elements critical to managing a digital workspace – Virtualization, Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA), and Identity Access Management (IAM).
- The solution enables IT teams to deliver standardized desktops, CRMs, and other business or graphics-rich applications even on low bandwidth networks without any interruptions or quality issues. Employees can access superior data from anywhere and on any device ensuring enhanced enterprise productivity. The biggest benefit is that Accops VDI provides its end-users with a desktop-like experience.
- The Accops Digital Workspace solution suite can be deployed quickly as it offers simplified management with minimal CapEx. In addition, the extended Accops customer support ensures that customers do not require highly skilled and dedicated personnel for endpoints integration and upkeep.
- With a simple and unambiguous licensing comprising no hidden costs, this solution is a productivity enhancer that offers superior user experience for end-users.
2. Secure remote access
- The solution enables enterprises to allow employees, consultants, and vendors to use devices (BYOD) of their choice seamlessly and securely without hindering the workflow.
- It provides access to all business applications and data to any device anywhere to ensure optimal productivity and mobility. Along with this flexibility, we ensure that control to access these applications and data remains with in the hands of the IT team and not the end-user.
- Allows third-party developers to access software development tools, leaving no data trace on users’ devices to ensure regulatory compliance.
3. Enhanced security
- The solution suite enables IT teams to virtualize and deliver desktop apps from a centralized data center providing complete control of all devices, apps, and OS in the network to prevent any security breaches.
- It helps IT teams to run critical apps in an isolated environment, hiding them from users’ devices and networks thereby preventing malware attacks or data leakages.
- Its remote virtual browser feature allows isolating the internet from the corporate networks to ensure optimal security and protection from cyber-attacks.
- Accops offers HySecure (ZTNA) and HyID (IAM) solutions that can provide one-stop, multi-layered security for end-users.
4. Meets compliance
- Enterprises can leverage the integrated IAM solution to always be in control of data and meet all data privacy and security requirements.
- The solution makes end-user devices irrelevant by moving all management information to the data center thereby meeting all compliance guidelines of enterprise computing.
Most VDI deployments fail because of poor end-user experiences. However with Accops, enterprises can access, analyze, and deploy customized remote working solutions that deliver enhanced secure remote working experience, agility, and cost efficiency.
Explore the advanced Accops Digital Workspace suite to empower your VDI infrastructure.